Paramotor Insurance

2009-Nov-4 Individual and Liability insurance for Powered Paragliding

It has been the bane of many paramotor pilots—insurance, or lack thereof. Most pilots don't notice the problem since they fly from places where it doesn't matter but, for those who aspire to alight from some public locales, insurance is critical. And for those who teach it can be required at some places like public airports.

There is now a source for rated pilots. Unfortunately, it's a lot more expensive than for free flight even though our risk appears to be less. Nothing we can do about that so far, its just the reality. The insurance company looks at it from the perspective of how much damage you're likely to do, not how likely you are to damage yourself. Essentially, the insurance doesn't cover YOUR medical bills, it covers the medical bills or damages of the person / thing you hit.

Individual Insurance

If you've got a USPPA/USUA PPG2 rating you can get liability insurance that's good up to $1,000,000 dollar limit with various other limits. It's $300 per year and requires you to join and register your gear with USUA (that's only $30). Here are full details from the USUA website, scroll down to Class 1 coverage.

Commercial Insurance

If you're a USPPA/USUA certified Instructor, you can get commercial flight school insurance. It gets a lot more expensive but it is available. The wording on the form suggested that paramotor pilots would not qualify but they have changed the wording to accommodate us. The old form required instructor's to be FAA CFI's, and now it recognizes that paramotor instructors won't likely have that.

So now the requirements are what would be expected: be certified as a USPPA/USUA PPG3 and Instructor. Then the coverage is very much like the personal coverage with up to a million dollar ($1,000,000) aggregate liability along with some very minimal medical expense. She has issued new wording for the form that will eventually be incorporated but, for now, use this form form for the requirements. Provide a copy of your USPPA/USUA rating card.

The cost is about $2000 per year.

Below is the verbiage for Paramotor commercial flight school insurance. Here is the updated (same as below) wording from First Flight Insurance as a PDF.

Powered Paraglider (Paramotor) Commercial Flight School Insurance

First Flight also offers a more extensive Commercial General Liability coverage package for commercial powered paragliding s.. This program includes liability coverage for the school's premises, plus 3rd party and participant injury liability.

Who Qualifies for This Program?

Current PPG3 rated pilots who are certified powered paragliding instructors. Instructors must be owners or employees to be covered under the policy. All powered paragliders used for training must be registered with USUA. All operations are subject to FAA exemptions and requirements.

Each application is underwritten individually based on business and training experience, safety record, size and type of operation and optional coverage required.


  • General and Premises Liability for the business location(s) (excludes products and completed operations)
  • 3rd Party Liability for Bodily Injury and Property Damage possibly caused by instructor
  • Participant Liability if student is injured (must have a signed waiver and be an active student under instructor supervision)
  • Medical Expense of $1,000 for minor injuries
  • Training aircraft can belong to others as long as it meets policy criteria

How Do I Apply for Commercial Insurance Coverage?

  • Step 1: Be a PPG 3 rated pilot and USPPA certified PPG instructor. Make sure all training powered paragliders are registered with USUA.
  • Step 2: Visit the First Flight Insurance Group, Inc.'s website, and select a broker in your state. Ask the broker to send an application to you. If no broker is listed for your state, please contact Jessica Craig at (252) 261-1903 Extension 257 for assistance. You may also
    contact Jessica by e-mail at

Insurance is now available for USPPA/USUA rated paramotor pilots and instructors.